Sequin Gowns & Mermaid Crowns : The Curvy Life

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Curvy Life


So as you probably already know from seeing photos, I ride the curvy train.  My entire life I've battled with my weight.  I was never thin, ever.  And I've got everything going against me.  I've got the worst genes for being fit; curves run in the family, I'm Puerto Rican (which says enough in itself), and I'm also destined for diabetes.  I've dieted for as long as I can remember and I've tried every trick in the book.  After a while, trying to be something you're not can get exhausting.  In recent years, I've settled myself with the fact that I will never be "thin." I'm just not built for it.  But the best part is, I'm okay with that!

SO much baby-swag!

Currently, I'm a little over 5'5" and wear around a size 14, depending on the brand and fit.  Throughout my life I've fluctuated from as low as the higher end of a 12 to the lower end of a 20.  As is expected, my body changed as I got older, and one day during my junior year of college I realized that I now had hips. (I call them my "mama hips")  I was no longer stocky and boyish, I now had curves!  I wasn't exactly pleased about this, wishing I had been better endowed up top.  But then again, I like being small on the top and I'd probably be really uncomfortable if I was bigger than my measly B cup.


What I'm trying to get at is, even though I have had times where I wanted nothing more than to have a flat stomach and wear a real bikini and low rise jeans, I also have times where I'd rather have a bacon cheeseburger.  Here in lies my problem.  I just love  food too much to sacrifice it.  And I'm not just talking about Taco Bell and McDonalds, I'm in love with gourmet food! Like, Diners, Drive-In's and Dives is one of my favorite shows.  I blame this on my upbringing.  My dad was a chef for a good while and then worked in the restaurant industry for the larger part of my life.  So I was, and still am, lucky enough to get fed top notch, delicious meals on the regular.  Do I want to wear that fitted LBD, yes.  Do I want to sacrifice eating that Beef Wellington, HELL NO!


Guys Dig Curves!

So a lot of girls want to lose weight because they think guys will like them more.  I was guilty of this at some point, but I have learned better.  In the least conceited way I could possibly sound, I think I'm pretty damn good looking.  Yeah, I'm chunky (as we refer to it in my family), but looking past that, I have a pretty face, fabulous hair, and a great fashion sense! Or so I've been told...hahaha. And that's just physically.  I'm also a good person with talent and a sense of humor.  Also, so I've been told. But the biggest part of it all, is that I'm confident.  I know that sounds lame, but I could not be more serious.  When it comes to guys, your glowing confidence highlights all of the things you love about yourself and shadows the things you're not so keen on.  If you think you're pretty, he's bound to think the same.  It's like some kind of Jedi mind trick. There are plenty of guys who dig the curves!  And not just "chubby chasers," regular guys!  Everyone has their type! I seriously have plenty of good looking guys give me a once over, or that have liked me at some point.  And realistically, I've had a lot of creepy guys do that too, unfortunately.  But that's not the point! You catch him looking at you, you're confidence is no doubt what really caught his attention.  Dazzle him with your smile, and who knows what could happen!  Now I can't really say much past that point, since I am uncomfortably single.  But I can say, I have a pretty good relationship with myself, and that's the first step!


The Clothing War


Another thing that has taking me a long time to get over is clothing.  Being plus sized and finding cute clothes is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, for lack of a better, less obvious metaphor.  But really, after sifting through the moo moos and grandma items, you're left with either really crappy, cheap, trend based clothes or more ugly things.  And then the next level is the ridiculously overpriced stuff that's probably still ugly and come in black, navy, or brown.  There's also the super fun category of plus sized clothing that just isn't flattering.  Like, if you're a plus sized gal, you're probably not planning on wearing a fitted dress with cutouts anytime soon.  And if you are, kudos, but maybe you should reconsider that one.  In my lifetime of "curviness," I've developed a pretty good sense of what looks good on me, and what is flattering.  I'm really good at hiding the things I don't want people to see and I probably look thinner than I actually am most of the time.  Which is cool by me.  I'm quite ok with not constantly worrying about my weight and still looking good.

Be Healthy


Now there is a line to draw, as there is with anything.  It's ok to be curvy.  Hell, it's freaking great!  But within your limits.  I eat what I want, but I also don't eat three cheeseburgers for every meal.  The goal is to be curvy and healthy.  Your health is so important! Don't sit around all day every day. Get some exercise, go outside, take vitamins, eat healthy foods that you like (I know there are at least some!), and treat your body right! We weren't made to starve ourselves, but we weren't made to gorge either.  As I said, there's a line.  You just have to know where that lies for you!


The Fight

Over the past few years or so, the sad reality of girls and body image has surfaced in a major epidemic.  There are so many girls who think they're too fat or too skinny or too tall or short or what have you.  Since I was old enough to understand this, I have been doing what I can to fight this kind of thinking.  Among many others, I believe that every girl is beautiful in her own way.  You don't have to be thin to be pretty, but that doesn't mean that thin girls aren't pretty! All shapes and sizes are beautiful! We are called individuals for a reason: because we are all our own unique being.  No two people are alike! So why do we all try so hard to look like that supermodel? No one will ever look like her, except for her!  And being a curvy girl, I say we are all beautiful!  We all have the potential to be happy if we let ourselves! 



XO, Briana

4 comments:

  1. Briana, this is without a doubt one of the best posts I've ever read! It's so beautifully written and I appreciate the fact that it celebrated ask body types.

    I love your confidence! You are seriously gorgeous and THE most fashion saavy person I know. And obviously I'm not just saying that because you're my oldest friend :)

    Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SOOO much Monica!! I really appreciate that, more than I can put into words!! I'm glad that I got my point across, as you so perfectly put "celebrating all body types." I wanted to elaborate on that a bit more, but then this post would have been eternally long and it would kind of go of topic! haha! So I'm glad I was able to make that clear!
      But I am so glad you liked it and thank you again for your compliments! They mean the world!!

      Love you too!
      XO, Briana

      Delete
  2. Lovely post. In my opinion size really doesn't matter especially if it's something that is out of your control (aka genetics). As long as you are healthy and comfortable in your skin that's all that matters. You are beautiful in my eyes sweetheart:-)

    Http://www.modifiednow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!! And I 100% agree!! :)

    XO, Briana

    ReplyDelete