Sequin Gowns & Mermaid Crowns : "No Makeup" Makeup Look

Saturday, August 9, 2014

"No Makeup" Makeup Look

Hey everyone! And helloooo August! As we make our way into the hottest month of the year, our hair is expanding and our makeup is melting as soon as we step out of our air conditioned homes.  Great.  But there are a few things we can do to find the happy medium between "I don't care, it's too hot," and "I care way too much even though it's hot."  Enter the "no makeup"/natural makeup trend.  Girls, this is to our advantage!  I'm talking minimal, lightweight makeup that's barely there but still enhances that natural beauty of yours!

A light amount of makeup is great for a very hot August day, a day by the pool or beach, or anywhere you're planning on sweating! I know a lot of people have something to say about wearing makeup to the beach, but personally I'm not comfortable leaving my house without something on my face.  I have a blotchy complexion and dark under eye circles that I feel are better covered than out to see the world.  So I just put on very minimal makeup to even out my skin and give me enough coverage to feel comfortable.  Without further ado, here is my "no makeup" mini makeup tutorial!!

*Expressionless for makeup viewing purposes only.

Step 1: Tinted Moisturizer 

This little guy is your best friend for summer.  It's like a moisturizer, sunscreen, and foundation all in one!  It's lighter than BB cream, but still gets the job done.  I like to use the Aveeno Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer with SPF.  This is great for the sun because it's lightweight so you won't feel clogged up, the tint gives you the right amount of coverage without looking like a foundation, and the SPF protects your skin from harmful UV rays!

I just start off using about a dime-nickle size amount and just rub it all on my face and neck.  Make sure you blend because it is tinted and you'll be able to see any lines or clumps.  On occasion, I'll just use this by itself, since it does such a great job.  Every step past here is optional, but today I'm going to show you a little bit extra.

Step 2: Concealer

I'm addicted to concealer.  It really is a wonderful thing.  For me, someone who has redness and the occasional blemish flare up, I just go to town with my concealer.  But for this look, the key word is minimum.  So I just put a little bit on my blemishes (if any) and under my eyes to cover those dark circles.  In my opinion, this is good for your tan anyway.  You don't want under your eyes, your blemishes/scars, or your super red areas to burn or get darker anyway.  To me, concealer gives that extra layer of protection.  Like a hat for your skin! I use Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer.  Mine is the double ended wand with the Pure Color Lip Gloss on the other end, but you can buy just the concealer alone.

Like I said, I just pat a little bit under my eyes using my middle finger and on any blemishes or extreme redness I may have that day.  Make sure you blend well so it gives you coverage, but still looks natural.

Step 3: Translucent Powder

This step is optional depending on how you're feeling.  Sometimes I'm feeling a little extra shiny, so I'll just tap on a little bit of translucent powder, even if just to set what I've done.  Here I've used the Mary Kay Translucent Loose Powder.  

Just take a stipple brush and grab some powder.  Either tap on, or swirl the brush in circles to apply.  This will just mattefy what you've already put on and keep it from running or smudging.

Step 4:  Eyebrows

Eyebrows are so so important, even when you're wearing minimal makeup.  Making sure that your eyebrows look crisp and groomed will open up your eyes and your face!  There are several ways to do this, depending on your eyebrows.  Mine are temperamental and like to go all over the place.  They're also scarce in places, so I like to use the Benefit Gimme Brow.  It's a miracle working tinted brow gel that is one of my favorite products! In one foul swoop, my eyebrows are perfectly pigmented and set in place!  No fuss, no muss!  And it looks natural, but clean. It's super easy to use as well: all you do is take the little spoolie and brush it on starting at the front of your brow and work your way to the tips!

If you don't have this brow product, you can use a clear brow gel or mascara like this one, or a wax pencil like this one.  There are so many things made just for your eyebrows nowadays so if you have trouble finding something, then you haven't looked hard enough!!  Don't be afraid to try out different things and find one you like the best!

Step 5: Liner

No, we are not using thick black eyeliner, or anything crazy.  Just a little trick I picked up in my many years of using makeup!  To open up our eyes even more, we're going to tightline our water line with a pearly white liner!  I used to use stark white, but then I read somewhere that using a slightly off white, looks more natural and is closer to the whites of your eyes!  So I picked up this Sephora Collection Nano Eyeliner in Pearl Beige.  

Simply use this liner along your waterline and in the corners of your eyes! It not only give you a nice glow, but will also make your eyes look bigger!

Step 6:  Lashes

Again, this is optional.  But for me, I like to use just a little bit of mascara to open up my eyes!  It's the finishing touch to my "no makeup" look!  The key here is waterproof.  Believe me, if you know you're going to sweat, you don't want to wear regular mascara!  Unless you're going for the raccoon look, then by all means go for it.  But seeing as that's not what we're going for, I used the Maybelline Pumped Up Colossal Volum' Express Waterproof Mascara in the blackest black I could find.  I have super dark hair, so I use black and only black mascara.  Anyway, this mascara is great for a natural, full lash with that added waterproof protection.  Again, it looks like you're just having a really good lash day (if that's even possible). Just lift and wiggle on your top lashes and also your outer bottom lashes to really open up your pretty eyes!

Step 7: Lips

Don't forget to protect those luscious lips! I will reiterate what I said in my Beach Essentials Post: people often forget about their lips!  They are just as sensitive to the sun as the rest of your face, so make sure you wear a lip balm with SPF!  This time, I used Sun Bum SPF 30 Pink Grapefruit Lip Balm.  I just got this and I absoluteness love it.  It smells and tastes good (if you accidentally lick it. I don't recommend purposely licking it) and it's greasy in a good way (if you can imagine that).  It gives your lips a nice shine and you can tell easily when it wears off and when it's time to reapply!  They also come in several different flavors!


And viola!  The "no makeup" makeup look! The point here is to say, I look great even without makeup!  Even though you are technically wearing some, it sure doesn't look like you are.  Away with the haters who bash on girls who wear makeup to the beach, pool, or even the gym!  I will not apologize for feeling more comfortable with makeup on and neither should you!  Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with girls who don't wear makeup.  Kudos to you! But for me personally, my skin gets yucky when I don't wear anything and then I'm self conscious about it all day.  So I rock this look!  Also, you can use this look for those days where you just want to do the minimum and still look put together and awake.  Hell, use it whenever you want!

Regardless of when and where you try this look, I hope you like it and test it out for yourself!  Remember, every step past that tinted moisturizer is additional so feel free to mix it up!  If you do try it out, let me know! I want to know what you used, your variations, and how you liked it!  Leave your posts and replies in the comments section! Thus, I leave you with the full product list below!! :)


XO, Briana

No comments:

Post a Comment