Sequin Gowns & Mermaid Crowns : SGMC Book Party- The Time Travelling Fashionista by Bianca Turetsky

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

SGMC Book Party- The Time Travelling Fashionista by Bianca Turetsky


I know it has been a long time since I've done a book review, but it's been quite a while since I've read, like, an actual novel.  Which was totally long over due.  I am what you would call a "serial reader": I read a bunch of books in a row and then stop dead for months at a time, then pick back up again.  I am weird, which has already been established.  Anyway, after the past few months of staring at The Maze Runner idly sitting on my night stand, I decided I needed to pick up something new.  I waltzed to my little book shelf and grabbed this one:

The Time Travelling Fashionista by Bianca Turetsky



Now I've had this one for a while now and had been wanting to read it of course, but it just hadn't called to me yet.  But now I can say I read it in about 5ish hours or so.  It was a quick read and I very much enjoyed it.

Although I feel it was written for a much younger audience than my 24 year old self, I still really connected to the book.  The main character was 12, but the story wasn't so much about her 12 year old life as it was about the fashion and the time travelling.  Which was pretty awesome if you ask me.  Now I am pretty easily amused, but I feel like this series was written for me.  Pretty much this young girl, Louise, is in love with vintage clothing and has a very deep appreciation and respect for the pieces.  To not spoil anything in case you want to read it, she winds up time travelling back to the Titanic as a famous movie star.

Now, when I started reading I hadn't read the summary in a while so I didn't realize she wound up on the Titanic until I got to it in the book.  I might have actually jumped up and down if I had been standing up.  I actually recall letting out an audible YES as I freakin' love the Titanic.  And I love fashion so it was like a two for one deal.  So what I liked so much about the book was that combination of vintage fashion and history (and it was actually pretty accurate).  Also what was really enchanting about this book was the illustrations.  Normally we young adults don't get pretty pictures in our novels, but this one had fashion illustrations showing the outfits described in the book.  So you really get the visual, which I think is really important here. Nonetheless, it made me smile.

As for the writing, it was pretty well done.  The story flowed well and it was very easy to read, but not juvenile, in my opinion. I would really recommend this one to anyone who loves fashion and history.  It was a really fun read and I'm now anxious to read the other two books in the series.  In those she adventures to the times of Cleopatra and of Marie Antoinette; two pretty interesting time periods if you ask me.  So those got immediately added to my Amazon cart after I'd finished haha.

Overall I would give this book 4 stars! The only reason I didn't give it a full 5 stars is because I wish there was just a bit more detail.  I feel like there could have been a lot more meat on its bones, but regardless it was a light, fun read which is right up my alley!

Read the authors summary --> HERE!
Buy the book --> HERE!
Watch the really cute book trailer --> HERE!

Have you read this book? What did you think?  And if you plan on reading it let me know how you like it! :)

XO, Briana

No comments:

Post a Comment